Friday, October 23, 2009

Time to think about...Setting!!!

So, by now you should have your characters named and know a bit about them along with a general idea of what's going to happen in the story.
But, do you know your setting well?  Have you spent time building your world?

If you are using a "real" place you can use maps and traffic light cameras and such. 

However, if you are creating your world, where the heck do you start?  Here!!!  This is a "fantasy" world building questionaire but many of the questions apply to all world building. 

This is another item I've copied and saved.  I've not printed it out yet cause I think it's about 56 pages of just the questions and if you left space for answers it'd be lots longer.   I do consider these questions as I build my world though.

So, get to world building!!!

4 comments:

  1. I think I know enough to get me through. I am familiar with the time period, so for the most part is shouldn't be hard. The town, though based in Massachusetts in the late 1800's, is fictitious, so I have a tiny bit of leeway.

    Chery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mwahaha. For the first draft I shall be going with generic big city. Haven't decided if the rewrite gets a real locale. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to create a whole world...I'm pretty much settled on a dragon fantasy. But, a lot of the world building will come on the second or third draft...or as I need to know it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy world building - as frustrating as it can be at times. For my fantasy it seems to be the crutch for everything else that happens in the world, how the antagonists act, what my heroine is willing to do, push for, and how.

    When you don't have the world 'set' when you start at writing - how much rewriting and revisions do you end up going through to make the story and world fit together?

    - Chrissy

    ReplyDelete