Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Writer's Block

I don't believe in writer's block.

However, I do believe there are things that interfere with our writing if we let them. And sometimes, even if we don't.

For example, life tends to throw the enexpected at us when we least expect it, or when we least can afford to be distracted.

Pressures at work or with relationships can also interfere. Or, the fact that we've taken on too much.

And what about health stuff? Allergies, hormones (for us females) and even the amount of sleep we get can take a toll on our writing.

Sometimes our friends and family can be hinderances. Even our own attitudes can de detrimental.

As we begin to plan for NaNoWriMo, take a few minutes to think about things you can deal with now that will make the month of November easier.

Can you prepare some meals in advance and freeze them or perhaps bargain with your spouse or kids to take on some extra chores. And really, if things get a little dusty during November, who cares.:-)

Planning your novel in advance will help also. The first time I took part in NaNoWriMo, I did no planning and had to take a couple days about halfway in to do that planning.

Also, check your schedule now and see what things you can either move to Oct. or Dec.

Thanksgiving is the biggest distraction during November as we write. Is there another family member who would just love to have everyone over this year? Or, if everyone does gather at your place, how about having them bring parts of the meal That way you won't have to do everything.

Anyone else have any tips to make things easier?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of delegating and cooking ahead. One of the clients touring with us next month wrote "Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms". I've only glanced through it, but I'm going to try it out. Crock pots are also great too.

    Even though I have Thanksgiving here every year, it doesn't seem to get in the way of much; probably because after so many years I've got it all down to a tee, plus I allow family members to bring food with them if they ask.

    In our home, we make it a point to clean up all the main living areas of our home before bedtime: family room, kitchen and living room. This is a big help when it comes time for a major holiday clean up. Laundry gets done every day, even if I have only one load. It's too overwhelming if I let it sit a day or two.

    The little one must do her homework right when she comes home from school, and we start slowing the pace down around here by 7:30 p.m. so that the girls can wind down and be ready for bedtime. This helps them to fall asleep easier, which means I can get back to my PC and work.

    While I don't really have a problem with writer's block, the one thing I will say is that I find if I've just finished a large task, my brain needs to switch gears and do something else. If I try to force it to keep going, it ends in disaster.

    Thanks for another great post.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the family is sorely mistaken if they think that Nano is going to take a backseat to cooking and housework! Lol.

    ReplyDelete